As virtualization processes and cloud technology attain new levels of complexity, IT departments are seeing an increased burden on administrative costs to keep up with the evolving technology. The cost to maintain a disruption-free IT environment, therefore, can limit what a company can spend on expanding their capabilities and exploring new techniques.
Technology is nothing if not innovative in nature, so how do we solve this problem?
Converged Infrastructure (CI) lowers administrative and deployment costs to free up resources for innovation. CI takes computer, network storage and virtualization components and integrates them into a single, cohesive pool of resources that is engineered, manufactured and supported by the vendor as a unified system. Instead of having to compile an infrastructure with individual servers, applications and processes, converged infrastructure ensures the reduction of administrative burden by restructuring how systems are designed, deployed, optimized, maintained, supported and upgraded. So what should you keep in mind when deciding on a converged environment?
- Treat the introduction of converged technology as a modernization of your system, rather than an upgrade or refresh strategy for optimal performance
- Understand your goals, and take inventory of your current infrastructure to determine whether convergence can be applied effectively
- Take time to decide carefully on vendors and partners through a detailed requirements checklist, maintenance support system, capacity planning and operational impact assessment
- Avoid investing any modular infrastructure without understanding their upgrade life cycles
The the long-term value, efficiency and cost-savings of implemented a converged environment will yield exponential returns on your investment, where you can expect:
- Improved system performance
- Lower operating and expenditure costs and greater IT optimization
- Increased automation
- Simplified sourcing and support
- Faster time to value with infrastructure
- Support in moving from IT maintenance to IT innovation
Have you heard much about converged infrastructure? Do you notice limits in your budget due to administrative cost? I look forward to your thought below.